Saturday 6 August 2011

Respidon

I've been stuck on 1mg respidon for 5 years and a bit now. None of the psychiatrists I've met understand why I was prescribed it to begin with. It is supposed to be an anti psychotic drug and apparently 1mg isn't even strong enough to do anything. The guy I was seeing 4 years back said it will help my 'suspicious tendencies'. I do agree I can be slightly paranoid sometimes. But respidon (or rispidon or respiridon) is supposed to be prescribed for people who have more extreme symptoms like hallucinations.

Doctors have told me it is mainly responsible for my extra weight and how sleepy I am all the time. I've found this to be true. In the past when I've tried to go off it, I've noticed how I am less lethargic within a few days of giving it up. And in a month or so I don't feel or look so bloated. My flagging sex drive also improves. But the last 2 times I tried to give it up I had major depressive episodes. Extreme feelings of fear and increased threat perception in social and professional situations. The last time it completely screwed up my working relationships and I don't remember feeling so afraid and depressed in a long long time.

So this is my latest attempt at stopping this medicine. I am going to 0.5mg every alternate day with the full 1mg every other day for 2 months. Let's see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment