Sunday 9 October 2011

Time out and some clarity

So, it's clear to me that the dreaded drop in mood is happening with the change in medicine. I didn't go to work on Friday and I know I will have hell to pay for it tomorrow. I may even have to contend with my contract not being renewed. But, we'll see.

Meanwhile, I am not giving up yet. I read this post, do note the bit about omega-3 studies and how EPA has been useful for the blogger. I've actually read about these studies before and I was impressed, that's why I have omega-3 supplements. The problem is I wasn't having anywhere near the right quantity. Significant change has been noticed with a dosage of at least 1g a day. Now, the post I've linked to above describes how the poster found significant effects only after having 4 capsules of PureEPA. My problem is, I am a lacto-vegan (vegan, except for milk products), and I had been taking Opti3, which is derived directly from algae, whereas the richest source of EPA is fish oil - which is what PureEPA is. I was only taking 1 capsule a day, which is 100mg of EPA when the recommended dosage is 10 times that amount. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any better source of vegan EPA in the UK. Eventually, I found Futurebiotics NewHarvest vegetarian EPA which has 600mg of EPA per capsule. They only ship within the US. This site, however ships to the UK. I'll let you know how long it takes to arrive.

I've also decided to try St John's Wart. It is not recommended for people on certain kinds of medicines, including anti-depression meds and anti-psychotics. But I am desperate here. Let's see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment